Sunday, March 24, 2013

Weekend Drag

Weekends have become an interesting time for us, since this all began. With nothing open, all of our errands, phone calls and breakneck pace come to a sudden screeching halt - but then we're left compiling all of the things we couldn't work on during the week. We don't really get a break; just a sudden, dramatic change in what we're working on. Honestly, it's starting to wear on me after nearly two months of this. I slept in today for the first time in a long time. The moment I woke up though, I hit the ground running.

Today I'm listening to a recording of the confession. To be brutally honest, it angers me. The things the officer did to try and manipulate George are just crazy. I can see now why there are false confessions all the time. These guys will pry away at your brain until you truly believe you have no choice but to tell them what they want to hear - and they'll do it in a way that exploits legal loopholes, tiptoes on the lines of various laws, and sneaks past your ability to defend yourself faster than you even know what's going on. I'm pretty sure if an officer like this one came up to me today and asserted that I actually had purple skin and came from the planet Exelon, he'd probably be able to convince me with these tactics. It's unbelievable!

Anyway I'm taking notes. We managed to save George's mother. But we know that with her gone, the father of the accused is rifling through all their possessions searching for evidence to destroy, as he has been already. It's utterly exasperating. I don't know what, if any, kind of legal recourse we even have for this stuff. But the important thing is, George's mother is safe. We're going to do our best to get her some help; she's in a terrible situation and too afraid to get out.


Tomorrow we have an appointment with a potential lawyer - the one that I said hangs on a thread and a prayer. We should have more news on that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment